Question: I am a 38 year old and my hair is thinning -why and what can I do?
Hair loss can be caused by different things.
- Medications –such as chemotherapy, lithium, warfarin and isotretinoin
- Hormonal changes
- Thyroid issues
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Hair dye, harsh shampoos, tight braids and ponytails
Good news for all those above, it will often grows back once the medication is stopped or condition is fixed!
- Androgenic hair loss (which is what often causes hair loss in men) –hormones can cause permanent shrinking of hair follicles which causes hair thinning.
What to do for androgenic hair loss?
- Topical minoxidil (like Rogaine) can help. It is best for women to start with 2% twice a day or 5% once a day. It can take a good 4 months or even longer to see the effect…and can start thinning again when minoxidil is stopped.
- Finasteride (Propecia) is sometimes used in men but hasn’t been proven to work in women.
- Spironolactone (Aldactone) is a diuretic that has helped some women with hair regrowth.
- Surgical hair implantation
- Photobiomodulation therapy –which is a laser light therapy
Are there any natural ways to help with hair growth?
+ Check all your products to see what toxins could be lurking at EWG.org and switch to nontoxic products!
+ Be gentle with your hair –wash less often, use natural products, put up gently instead of in tight braids or ponytails, take a break from dyes and perms
+ Positive affirmation you can repeat silently, whispered or yell loudly “I am safe. I love and approve of myself. I trust life” This is from Louise Hay. She believes hair loss is from feeling fear and tension and trying to control everything.
+ EFT –Emotional Freedom Technique to balance your energies around your hair loss and release fear and doubts about successful hair regrowth!
+ Eat more healthy fats –such as fish oil, avocado oil, olive oil
+ Accept yourself for being your beautiful self! Look into a mirror and look deep into your eyes and see your true beauty!
+ Ramp up your vitamins –vitamin C, B-complex and E
What is your experience/success story? We would love to hear from you!